10 Facts About Fittonia Plants You Did Not Know
If you want to bring a splash of spring into your home or office space, one easy and affordable way to do so is to decorate with artificial plants. Choosing artificial plants or fake flowers will provide your spring home decor with a beautiful expression of the season that requires minimal maintenance. Many modern companies produce artificial plants that authentically resemble natural plants.
One of the many types of plants that automatically convey the essence of spring is the Fittonia plant. Buying artificial Fittonia plants is an easy way to imbue any door, wall, or office space with the spirit of spring.
If you haven't ever heard of the Fittonia plant, here are ten interesting facts to help acquaint you with it:
1. It's also called the "nerve plant"
The leaves of the Fittonia are dark green, but they are much more easily recognized by their network of red or white veins covering the leaves' surface. Fittonia normally grows in tropical rainforests and prefers to remain part of the underbrush. The veins of the leaves then achieve their purpose: they can perceive and then use the decreased amount of sunlight available in the underbrush.
2. The Fittonia was named for two sisters
The Fittonia was discovered in 1867 by sisters Sara and Elizabeth Fitton. They are the authors of the book, "Conversations on Botany."
3. Fittonias come in many colors
Here are the types of colors found on Fittonia plants:
- Purple veins - these have dark green leaves and dark lavender veins.
- Black star - dark green leaves with dark red veins
- Pink angel - smaller plants with medium green leaves and hot pink veins
- White Anne - dark green leaves with white veins
- Juanita - these are similar to the black star - but the leaves are larger, and the veins are brighter red.
- Frankie - these are similar to the pink angel, but the veins compose a larger part of the leaves and are lighter in color. The green part of the leaves is mainly at the edges.
4. Fittonia plants can be displayed in many shapes
Because the charm of Fittonias is in its colorful veins, the leaves themselves are the main attraction of this plant. Using artificial Fittonia plants as wreaths is very common, but they can also serve as garlands, potted plants, or hanging from baskets. The overflowing leaves will make a bright and cheerful impact no matter where or how it is displayed.
5. Fittonia can increase your sense of calm and reduce stress
Studies have shown having artificial houseplants has been shown to reduce stress and improve focus.
The Fittonia plant is the ideal plant to do so, as its "nerve network" display invokes a backdrop of "thinking" into the room. The colorful veins invoke a sensation of calm in any room.
6. Fittonia's colorful veins make it a great companion plant
If you have other artificial plants displayed in your home, getting some faux Fittonias would easily match many. With a choice of red, pink, or white veins, these lush leafy plants would look great next to a Dracena bicolor, snake, or arrowhead plant.
7. Fittonia plants produce flowers
Considering the showy quality of Fittonia's leaves, you might expect the plant to produce ornate flowers. But the flowers of the Fittonia are relatively underwhelming. They are thin green stalks that resemble thistles. They last for months and do not normally open completely when the plant is kept indoors.
8. Fittonia plants are usually 12 to 20 inches tall
In their native South America, Fittonia plants grow 12 to 20 inches tall. The height of the plants depends on where they grow. They reach their top height if they are in a field and uncovered by other plants. However, if they grow underbrush, they reach only 12 inches because they don't grow past the plants that cover them.
9. Fittonias are very ornamental
Choosing a variety of fake Fittonia plants is a wonderful way to increase the spring spirit in a home or office. Interspersing the different sizes and colors of Fittonia while having the consistent shape and color of the leaves provides a multicolored display.
10. The Fittonia plant symbolizes boldness, trustworthiness, and rational thought
The Fittonia's network of veins looks like the neurological network of a living being, so they are symbolic of the life force. An artificial Fittonia is an excellent gift for someone you respect. They also are a good plant to display in a business as a way to project the idea of trustworthiness of the business subliminally.
If your spring home decor is in need of a boost, you can see why an artificial Fittonia would be one of the best choices you might make.